Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

ENERGY SYSTEM

Go down 
+7
FoxFireAlchemist
JeffMandM
Suds
Solilo
Savato
Nocive
Kat
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should we use this energy system on the site? (Please give reasons within the thread x3)
Yes
ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_lcap59%ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 59% [ 17 ]
No
ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_lcap28%ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 28% [ 8 ]
Maybe, I have some questions or concerns...
ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Kat

Kat

Poké : 3220

ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Energy/Health

Ok, we all know the issue of a lot of people god-modding(NEVER fainting) in this rp. So here's a system that is similar to a point system:

Energy System
~Beta Testing~

Energy
Energy is what allows you to do things in a thread, such as enter a specific dungeon and roll dice for items and encounters. Once your character has run out of ENERGY they will "Faint", BUT your character may remain IN the thread. You can choose whether they pass out for a bit or become to exhausted to move much.

Overall Energy
Your "Base Energy"(BE for short) will be determined according to this:
Overall Stats - # BE
1-100 - 5 BE
101-200 - 8 BE
201-300 - 11 BE
301-400 - 14 BE
401-500 - 17 BE
501+ - 20 BE

To find your overall stats, simply use this site: To find your pokemon, simply hit CTRL+F and type in your pokemon's species name and you will be guided to it.
That is your BASE stat, meaning that is what you will DEFINITELY have more than as a base. Once you have found your base energy, simply add on the number of levels your character is to it. For example, if you were a level 5 Bidoof, your total stat would be 250. A total stat of 250 would mean it has 11 BE(Base Energy). Your character is level 5 though, so now your Energy is 16. If you were level 2 your Energy would be 13, and Level 3 would be 14. Each level adds 1 point of Energy.

Using Energy
Energy is an important factor, it is needed to roll the dice of both Encountering and Items. Items will take away 1 energy each time if you have enough energy for it.

When you enter a dungeon, a certain number of energy will be subtracted from your total energy. If you have 30 energy, and go into a dungeon that takes away 15 when you enter, you will have 15 energy remaining to be used.

The amount Encountering takes away varies on just what appears, so use with caution. It will say on the dice result's image what amount of energy is lost by fighting or running away from this creature.

If you are burned or poisoned, 1 energy will be taken away with each page you rp without healing yourself with a pecha berry, rawst berry or a heal seed and such.

A defense scarf will reduce the amount of energy a encounter takes by 1, meaning if the encounter takes away 1, you get a free encounter. THIS ONLY WORKS WHEN YOU ARE WEARING IT.

Restoring Energy
Low on energy? Character can barely move? Healing items such as Oran Berries will restore your energy upon being eaten. A list will be made in the future of what restores how much.

If you do not have such healing items, then you can simply rest your character or prolong battles that you currently have. Each page will restore 1 energy point, so dragging things out will not only earn you more pages to level up, but more energy to stay! If you spend an entire page not encountering or finding any item, the 1 energy you receive will add onto your energy. Meaning you have limitless energy and can keep stacking it up as long as you like without using it! Although, when you end the thread and leave the dungeon, it will be set back to your Normal Total Energy.

Tips
-Using Oran berries even when you're at your total energy, will INCREASE your energy for that thread. Meaning you can spam Oran Berries into your character and end up with 500 energy, but when you end that thread and go to another, it will go back to your total energy.

-Try taking turns on who rolls the dice, that way when your character is exhausted, your partner can begin to roll while your character rests and heals.

-Keep track of your energy by posting your total amount of current energy in each post, you can do it every now and then, but please keep track of how much energy you have!

This^ is what the beta testers are currently testing.

Last edited by BlueKat12 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating Rules to System)
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Peach

Poké : 1060

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Ok, my mind wasn't up for reading all that was posted so pardon me if I seem to have missed something important, but here's where I stand on the issue as far as the original idea Kat posted.

Should there be an energy system? Maybe. Should said system determine everything including where you can go and what items you can get? No. Don't get me wrong, I do think that it may be smart to restrict this stuff in some way to avoid god modding.I just don't think this is the answer, or at least not this alone. Besides, since when does an item's rarity determine how exhausting it is to pick up?

If there's an energy system, I think it should focus souly as a form of HP. I think item restriction should focus more on something along the lines of only being able to get so many items before an encounter. As far as area restriction, I got a couple comments on that. First of all, if nothing else, if you just attach possible levels to Pokemon and combine it with a health system, I think a player's common sense will do the restriction for you. In all honesty though, I think it may be possible to let any character visit a dungeon, but limit possible encounters and items to higher levels only.

All this said, I hate to be a nay sayer, again, but there's two issues I got with this, and apologize if a solution to either's been purposed. One, what happens when everyone runs out of HP? I know in a lot of such cases someone bit off more than they can chew and deserve it, but sometimes the dice just didn't roll how they needed. I don't think character death should be absolute in the case of having 0 HP, but what happens instead. Problem two is a lot different. I'll be honest, when I first saw this site, one thing I liked about it is it was a place to RP, and not a sort of MMO text adventure game. Don't get me wrong, I like games, but sometimes I like the freedom to do whatever I want (So long as I don't harm others, of course.) too, and that's what I saw here. If a system like this is installed, however, I will admit, this will probably feel more like a game than a free world to me. Now, this isn't some threat to rage quit or anything. Even if I made such a threat I couldn't hold to it, but doing such a thing may hold a negative affect to my enjoyment of this place is all I'm saying. Again, rules must be made. I get it. I'm just not sure these are the rules to make. Then again, for the time, I got no ideas myself.

EDIT: I normally wouldn't be against area restrictions, but with what other restrictions would come with it and how long it can take to surpass all those restrictions, it's kind of discouraging to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 pm

The only concern I have with it is taking more health for the item rarity, a person can choose where to place their characters and where and when to roll but they don't have any control over how rare of an item they find so that just seems a tad unfair I suppose. Other than that though I think having some sort of health system in place could be interesting depending on how it goes
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

Poké : 290

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:21 pm

It is not health it is energy. The energy would be used by walking around and finding the item so it's perfectly logical... at least to me. |D
Back to top Go down
https://pmd-roleplay.forumotion.org
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Ok here we go:

First off to what Mex said, yes this is a roleplay. Roleplays NEED rules. People just don't get that common sense is needed to roleplay, and because of that: we need a system. If you ask me, this will IMPROVE the site. Also you say this isn't an RPG and yet you suggest an NPC with limitless poke? The point of user shops is to allow people to have another source of income THAT IS LIMITED, if it was just one npc shop you could just SPAM all the items and sell them! You tell the mods to scan for dice rolls, yet what reason do we have to say against the other rper when they say "Oh he just has insane luck"? When you run out of energy, it forces you to stop spamming the dice. What if you just didn't HAVE to faint? Like your character could still do stuff, but YOU cannot roll encounters or dice anymore and your character is pretty much exhausted. It will prevent you from reaching other areas, yes, but like someone said in the CB, it would make no sense for a level 5 caterpie to go to a dungeon of DEATH and DOOM like blackmist and survive. As for Level restrictions, I admit it WOULD prevent impossible odds, but Godmodding is a huge issue, god modding isn't FAIR to the people that are actually WILLING to have their pokemon faint at random times.

Now Peach: I think my response to Mex will explain.

Now Max: It's going to be based off of STAT TOTAL not health. I don't think players would put up with being a chansey just to go to more areas |D If someone were to be say, a shuckle, yes they would have a large base energy of 30 with Acti's idea, then the rper would have to put up with being a red turtle thing with crap attack. BUT it would be REASONABLE for a shuckle to be able to go there because of its INSANE defense. It would make MORE SENSE and it's COMMON SENSE that this system would help the site make more sense in WHY a caterpie would be able to go to furnance peak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Ah, ok, guess I must have misinterpreted what they meant by energy. So if a character runs out of energy they just have to stop rolls for a while and their character would be tired? But they wouldn't actually faint or anything? If that's the case then that renders my earlier concern moot and I apologize for misreading and jumping to conclusions I may or may not do that sometimes, eheh ;u;
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 am

It's fine Connie!
Also, like I said in my earlier post, "What if you just didn't HAVE to faint? Like your character could still do stuff, but YOU cannot roll encounters or dice anymore and your character is pretty much exhausted."
You guys do realize that you could easily wake up after fainting right? they do it in the anime. Your character would just be exhausted and you could rp out pages until you get energy back, along with pages that add onto what you need to level up. Your character will have "fainted" but like in the games, you can regenerate!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 am

Hm, I suppose I 'might' have to agree with this. (After having it explained a bit more than before of course :D) Though I'm not so sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 am

Well kat with the fact about moving around and regaining energy. You, yourself I believe or it was someone else... I know it was someone of the staff who regarded that 1 page could be 1 energy regained.  Is that it's not gonna easy to roleplay 2 full pages if you run out of energy to only regain two which could easily be taken back down with a rare roll. And with buying items like berries, would also prove difficult for the newer members with no poke and users who just spent all their poke. You say this will increase the value of the berries and other objects for others, when by increasing the value you're discluding the users who spent their poke on something like a character. They suddenly have an extraordinary disadvantage to those willing to buy berries to regain energy. Plus let's say to buy a berry if this all works it way through and is implemented. Berries would instantly be worth more. Let's say it's 150-200 poke. That's one berry doing one thing and practically spending the money you'd be using to explore through that thread. You could say you could do missions to regain poke but then those characters who own a shop have a disadvantage, as they cannot do the guild missions. Also with the whole fairness level. Kat, what does one side earn if they do or don't faint. It's an RP. It's not like those who don't faint get a special thing while those who did faint get nothing. No, Fainting is something that adds immersion but shouldn't be forced through a system of energy. AS much as you say about "The Energy won't be used in Battle" will it really make a difference? They could still Godmod too actually. "oh hey 2 post K.O!" TO be honest it's not really going to solve the godmodding. It'll just limit how much one can godmod and they can always just say "Oh I thought there was more energy I had left." You aren't ever getting rid of godmodding you're restricting it and some people will still godmod past the energy factor. People godmod. It's difficult to stop that from happening.

"Roleplays NEED rules." Well of course. All Roleplays do indeed need rules, but because of a few members gomdodding and spamming dice we're putting in an energy system? It just literally doesn't seem like a logical answer. A Majority of users here who Roleplay, are good trustworthy users who are on at least 3 or 4 times a week. Not many people, from what I've saw at least, are godmodding to an extent a ruleset needs to be put in place. I can understand some of the reasons though like level 5s going to black spear mountain range and things like that, and that's a perfect reason. The thing is, is that you need to have a system that 100% fixes all problems without an easier solution. Godmodding will be a problem no matter what. It's like trolls on the internet. Make as many rules as you want, they won't care. I wouldn't really count that as a 100% valid reason. More or less a 30%. "What if you just didn't HAVE to faint? Like your character could still do stuff, but YOU cannot roll encounters or dice anymore and your character is pretty much exhausted." What does just mindlessly walking around get you? There's only so much you can do by walking around  before there is nothing left. It's just something that doesn't make sense. There doesn't NEED to be a fainting system because Fainting isn't something that pretty much destroys the site if you never do. You make it to be a HUGE groundbreaking thing that could change tons of things. What is the literal problem with fainting? Honestly. Fainting shouldn't even be a reason. How is fainting that bad it can influence a brand new system to the site?

"god modding isn't FAIR to the people that are actually WILLING to have their pokemon faint at random times" Kat I'll be honest the hard way... Life isn't fair nor is the internet. There's nothing more to be said about that subject of fairness. I can understand fairness when it comes to Large, Time-Consuming posts that took tons of effort compared to a small one liner. But saying it isn't fair to those who let their pokemon faint. What kind of a reason is that?! You earn nothing, NOTHING from not fainting. Those who do faint earn character development by knowing their limits or weaknesses. Let's say fainting fails a mission. Well what's really stopping them from retaking that mission and doing it right a second time. Or the fact if Fainting is to fail a mission how so? The pokemon could easily get up and regain energy then continue on... It'd take a literal 10 pages but it's doable.

(I may have gotten a bit off track at times... Excuse that. I woke up not too long ago. The reason for it's sudden ending, lost my train of thought.)
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:28 am

In regards to the berry thing, berries have always been cheap to buy on the site and incredibly easy to find. One of my future characters will also be offering 100 poke (that's ten posts guys, only ten!) for the opportunity to gain up to six berries. If you get a full set of berries (which would be very likely) that's a mere 20(two posts) poke per berry. Not a very high price at all. That and berries are usually considerably easy to find in dungeons as some of the lower ranked items, so you may end up spending one energy during a thread and finding an Oran berry, which could regain say 5 energy.
(5 energy is not the final number I was just using it as an example.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am

Okay then the berry part is understandable now. However If that's the only reason then I don't think it's really a big enough reason... Although you did say you weren't going to read the entire thing because it was just one huge chunk. So I'll give you time I guess... xD
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 am

*Continuing from last post as I was finishing reading Mex's post and I didn't have time to edit this in before he responded.*

Also, the energy system is not there to merely fix those issues. It is a way to fix multiple issues that I, as the creator, have had with the site for ages now.

MexterInfinite wrote:
What does just mindlessly walking around get you? There's only so much you can do by walking around before there is nothing left.
If you are RPing with a partner, you can leave the rolls up to them whilst your character regains their energy. Also fainting isn't a main reason for the new system, it's just something that the site has been lacking and this system will bring about along with the many other reasons it is being considered.

MexterInfinite wrote:
Life isn't fair nor is the internet.
I'm starting to think you're just arguing this point for the sake of it.

Also, I'd like all of you to at least consider the idea instead of just throwing criticism in the face of me and Kat. At the moment, it just seems like you all are scared of having the site change because it's been the same for so long.
Because of this I am setting up a beta test area to test the energy system and work out any kinks in case we do decide to use it. Any who are against the idea, will hopefully at least give the beta test a try instead of writing the idea off as pointless before you've even experienced it.

Last edited by SereneLittleRose on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:42 am

SereneLittleRose wrote:

I'm starting to think you're just arguing this point for the sake of it.

Honestly I'm not... But I guess I will give the energy system a try if a beta comes out.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:11 am

"At the moment, it just seems like you all are scared of having the site change because it's been the same for so long."~Serene

I agree with this, it's natural for some people to be scared of change.

Also if regeneration proves to hinder too much with only regenerating one point then we could boost it up a notch for pages, like 2 or 3. If a problem shows in the beta test, we'll fix it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:19 am

MexterInfinite wrote:

Well first off, it's a change. I personally, don't like changes when things seem to be going fine.
As another thing about the fear of changes.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 am

but without change, how will technology advance? I'm sure there were some people that wanted to stick to type writers than change to typing and printing on a computer. Some people may have wanted to keep using Buzzers instead of phones. Some people may have wanted to stick to candlelight instead of electricity! Without change, things cannot become greater. Yes, sometimes change can ruin things, but when it proves to be wrong, we could easily change it back or find a way to change it so the problem is no more. Change is ESSENTIAL. It is nothing to be scared of(says the person who freaks out over sudden changes irl but it's true and I still roll with it.).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ENERGY SYSTEM   ENERGY SYSTEM - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

ENERGY SYSTEM
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next