Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

Two confrontations, one topic

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Peach

Poké : 1060

Two confrontations, one topic Empty
PostSubject: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 am

As the title suggests, I want to talk about two things here. The first one is about names. Once a name is taken, that's it, nobody gets it. I understand this as multiple characters with the same name can be confusing. Still, it would be more realistic this way. I thought, maybe it would help if we used last names. They aren't all too hard to make after all.

Next is the four move limit. I get it, that's how generally every Pokemon game works. There's a key difference in my eyes though. In those games you control many Pokemon. Even in PMD you have control over your party's actions. Here, you usually only control one Pokemon. Sure, unlimited moves is ridiculous and I realize this, but upping the limit to 6, 8, or if you really want to push it, even 10, would be nice. Also, to make it up to those who forgot moves, when this rule is officiallized, you can let them recall moves until they reach the new limit and/or they recall all forgotten moves.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

Poké : 3220

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am

Just here to give my opinion~
-As for the name thing, I kind of agree with this. Kind of. Yes, last names are a bit logical, though I thought they kind of automatically had last names, which is their species. Like Acro the Archen, I count "the Archen" as a kind of last name. I'm not too sure about this, but I sort of half agree. With the growing amount of characters we have it would get difficult to search through every page of characters to see if someone has the same name.

-I don't understand what the issue is with the four move rule. Why do we need to push up the move limit? It's not like you're taking on dungeons by yourself, you have intelligent partners going inside them with you(unless the character's personality is to be a bit dim) and you can use the environment to your advantage, which makes a lot more tactics available than in game if you're creative enough if that's the case. I prefer having four moves because it demands sacrifice and you really have to think about what you want, otherwise we'll have Type-Cover-Everything-With-a-Single-Character EVERYWHERE. That makes things seem a bit OP in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

Poké : 290

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:15 am

@Names
There are plenty of names in the world. And people can be creative, using latin to form new names or taking words from other languages. Last names seem too formal for a pokemon world where no humans exist and so I will retain the one name format unless names become a problem, which so far it has not been.
Also to kat's reply, The Search bar is up top for that. Just type your name in and click search, if a character thread comes up you cannot use that name. It's why we always edit the name of the character into the title of a signup thread.

@Moves
It is true that this is RP, but I have done many successful RPs where every pokemon character only have four moves. I believe it is a challenge to decide which moves you'd rather have and having more than that rids the challenge of having to decide on which moves are successful together. Also I feel that with more than four moves, there would be less move variety within a population of certain pokemon, and i'd prefer to encourage variety rather than having six Riolu with the exact same movesets because we allow so many moves.
And; exactly what kat said.
Back to top Go down
https://pmd-roleplay.forumotion.org
Peach

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 pm

@Names:
Ok, there are a lot of names, but do you want to go through a google search or two just to register a character on an RP site? That may sound exaggerated, but I remember an instance in which someone went through 5 names before getting one they could use, so the day of maddening google searches is coming. Sure, people can get creative, but the point is they shouldn't have to, at least not like this. I also don't think it's all too formal either. We have civilization, clans, and a need to know who is and isn't related to you. If I remember correctly, you claim it's accurate to think of the era of this world as the dark ages. Well, there were, in fact, last names in the dark ages. Granted, they were just starting up, but they were still there,

@Moves:

While I'm not sure I agree with you guys, I do understand and have no strong counter argument, so I'll let you have that.
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm

@Names.
I still do not wish to have to make everyone come up with a surname. Considering the fact that no pokemon within the PMD games ever had a surname that I can recall. Also, surnames are a butt to come up with, especially because we wouldn't be using normal surnames from human backgrounds. Most surnames would have to be completely made up and to make it a requirement is unfair on all those people who have already made characters, or may not wish to give them a surname at all.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 pm

@Names
I think I may have an idea that could fit in here: What if there just couldn't be two names of the same species? Surnames could be things like "The *insert Species here* It would be confusing if there were 2 umbreons named "Luna" but if we had a Umbreon named Luna and a teddiursa named "Luna" the roleplayers would add "the Umbreon" or give a description of the pokemon they are talking to. If a name starts to become too frequent we could ban it like we do with the characters. If this were to be an issue in the PMD world they would simply mention what species the pokemon they were speaking of were, since they wouldn't want to go through the hassle of giving EVERYONE last names like the issue we have here.
Back to top Go down
Solilo
Founder
Solilo

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 pm

For now the repetition of names hasn't gotten to be an issue. People are being creative enough to not need a rule for double names. Until it becomes a problem, I will not budge from my standing as I would prefer people to be more creative than have a thousand Blaze, Aqua or Leaf characters on the site.
Back to top Go down
Peach

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 10:17 am

I couldn't agree less. Just because people found a way around a problem doesn't mean it isn't still a problem. Have you seen some of the names lately? We got Loot-loot, Oatmeal, and Bait. I'm not saying these names are "bad", but I see them more as desperate attempts to just put a name on there more than creativity. Granted maybe someone actually wanted to name their character after food for some reason, but I doubt that's the case for all such characters. Point here is, you are starting to get people that are just putting in whatever qualifies as a name, even jibberish if they think they can get away with it, just so they can move on with the process of making a character. You can't force creativity. You can encourage it and even help it along, but you can't force it. There's also a lot of characters here that no longer are a part of this RP, but because they technically exist, and as a result we can't use their names. I think that's kind of unfair myself. If you're really worried about names being over used, which I doubt will happen but also admit could happen, then I guess it wouldn't hurt to do what Kat suggested and ban names under the circumstances that they're being over used. I admit this isn't the perfect solution to the problem, but I think it beats the current system.

P.S. Sorry for the grammar. It's early and I'm tired.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 am

(Typing this for the second time since crappy laptop is crappy and clicks without my clicking...)

Loot-Loot, Bait, and Oatmeal surely must have reasons behind their names. I'm pretty sure Ant wouldn't just pick a random as heck name(Though I don't know him that well, for all I know he could've named Bait that as a joke xD). Loot-Loot was probably named that way because of his history with "looting" from different places. Maybe the creator thought Loot was a bit boring so spiced it up with "-Loot" or liked the way it sounded. As for Oatmeal, I haven't gotten to meet the creator seeing as I never saw them on the CB, so I can't say much for that. Who knows? Maybe they named them that because they like oatmeal or they have some kind of tie with the word. Or maybe they just named them the first thing that came to their head like I did with my characters Acro(Meaning High in greek stems) and Proteus(an old man of the sea from mythology).

As for my suggestion I was just making a suggestion that would possibly bring both parties to an agreement, satisfying both needs. ^^

Also for forcing creativity, that is actually a debatable subject that isn't answered. Having the simple names being taken will limit the options, making the user look into deeper names with actual meanings, that is IF they care about their character enough, thus FORCING them to be creative and practicing creativity. If they continue to practice(which is highly likely in RPs), then the user will then become more used to creativity and it will then become a second nature. They don't have to make the character RIGHT away, they could spend a few days to think about it, mull it over or until they come up with a name that they enjoy and isn't taken.
Back to top Go down
Nocive

Nocive

Poké : 3100
Location : Somewhere, brooding on and on about the horrors of bleeding writing materials.

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Eh, just gonna throw this in here:

Surnames are fine.

Same first names, however, aren't.

I'd much prefer it if people didn't repeat first names as it destroys the convenience and honor of having a name entirely to yourself and may cause people to mistake someone's character for someone else's. If people wish to name their characters odd names such as 'Peanut Brittle' or anything similar, then let them be. It's their preference. Maybe it could even be incorporated into their character's development like causing them to feel bullied and self-aware to the point they'd try to go around by another alias. No one is forcing anyone to finish their bios in a day, so the creators have absolutely no reason to choose their pokemon's name on a whim all because someone else already took their first idea. Let them have that responsibility. We have plenty of names to go around.

Now with Surnames, I'm pretty okay with those. People could make it so that their pokemon came from a specific heritage, or had descendants who were known nobles under specific names like 'Emerald' and made it their family tradition to have their children keep it as a second name. Surnames aren't much of an issue on my part.  I don't consider Surnames much importance unless it affects history as stated previously.The RPers can be as creative as they want, so long as they know their boundaries. However, I may not approve of names like 'Sparklebutt' no matter how funny it is.
Back to top Go down
Peach

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 am

Ok, I haven't been completely honest on my real problem here, but only because until recently I hadn't really realized it. Also, I just looked things up and realized in my case it's a false alarm, but still see it likely that it has developed. I had a name planned for a character I am going to make in the future, but someone else took that name. I get the whole "You snooze you lose." concept, but it was my understanding that the one who took this name was completely absent in this sight. I didn't even think the character was approved. Again, I admit I was wrong, but with all the unapproved characters out there that are now being completely ignored and the other forms of tire kickers, I'm sure such a problem has occurred. I thought allowing name repeating was the easiest solution to this, but you guys don't seem to agree. The only other idea I got is something like the inactive member system we had. Whatever you do, please do something about this problem. I really think people shouldn't have to suffer because some no show decided to swipe the name they wanted and then do nothing with it.
Back to top Go down
Nocive

Nocive

Poké : 3100
Location : Somewhere, brooding on and on about the horrors of bleeding writing materials.

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 6:56 am

Eh, I don't think you should be prohibited from taking a name if the Bio it was taken in hasn't been approved yet. It's like a race. First person to get their bio approved takes the name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two confrontations, one topic   Two confrontations, one topic Empty

Back to top Go down

Two confrontations, one topic
Page 1 of 1