Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

Weather system, benefits and disadvantages

Go down 
+3
MCLikeANinja
Evana
Dediles
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dediles

Dediles

Poké : 4120

Weather system, benefits and disadvantages Empty
PostSubject: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 5:34 am

Ok so weather is a thing right? It hapens, things get rained on, wind kicks up sand, it hails from time to time, and those things are present mechanicly in the games.

I want to implement a weather system that is optional.

here's my idea. an optinal weather die. in normal places like forests, this die could indicate harsh sunlight, rain, or even a very rare hail.

Why would someone go through the trouble of rolling that die?
a special weather effect that can occur in any dungeon.

for instance a weather effect called I dunno, Miracle sunlight, which doubles energy regen, or Rainbow sky, which would act like a joy ribbon.

In addition, or perhaps without, there are the mechanical benefits of weather itself, get a lucky roll for rain as a water type and your max energy increases or something. however if you are a fire type, it decreases or something.

I think It would be important to discus some kind of weather system, and I believe it would best serve optional. Please feel free to add ideas and discuss.

Back to top Go down
http://dediles.deviantart.com/
Evana

Evana

Poké : 7570

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 1:23 pm

I like the weather system idea but you do have weather orbs. Maybe it would be interesting to roll a die in the dungeons in the beginning to determine how the weather will be for the rest of the thread and orbs last like 3-5 pages? Of course, a sandstorm only can occur in the desert and it is very unlikely rain will fall there. In Pricklemist Hill the chances it will be foggy are extremely high and such. It is nice if it is optional, but if you don't roll the dice you don't get the advantages and disadvantages of the weather?

I totally support weathers having an effect on Pokemon.
Sandstorm: Reduces the energy of all Pokemon by 1 each page but raises the energy for Rock, Steel and Ground types by 2.
Hail: Reduces the energy of all Pokemon by 1 each page but raises the energy for Ice types with 2.
Sunny day: Raises the energy of Grass and Fire types by 2 each page and Water (and Ice) types don't get any energy.
Starry Sky: Raises the energy of Dark types by 2 each page.
Rain: Raises the energy of water types by 2 each page and Fire types don't get any energy.
Foggy: Reduces vision. Raises the energy of Ghost types by 2 each page.
Polluted air: Reduces the energy of all pokemon by 1 each page and raises the energy of Poison types by 2.
Thunderstorm: Raises the energy of Electric and Dragon types by 2 each page.
Strong winds: Raises the energy of Flying types by 2 each page.
Rainbow sky: Raises the energy of Fairy types by 2 each page.
Clear: Raises the energy of Normal types and Fighting types by 2 each page.
Cloudy: Nothing special happens.

I don't know what weather to put bugs under. I was thinking Sunny day but 3 seems much for a weather that doesn't reduce the energy of others.

Well, these are my ideas. I understand if it would be too much to implement such a system but it could be interesting.

Someone else gave the idea of using hold items to negate the effect. Just like a Pecha Scarf prevents poison. For rain you could have an umbrella, for sunny day a parasol, for Polluted air a gas mask...
Back to top Go down
MCLikeANinja

MCLikeANinja

Poké : 4490

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 4:27 pm

I like both of your ideas, but maybe just a Weather Scarf works? It feels kind of strange to buy a parasol specifically for rain and would much rather use a Weather Scarf than some extremely specific item. Also, maybe have dice for day and night? It would be very weird to take a journey when it's pitch black unless you look up at the stars. :P
Back to top Go down
Dracorexion

Dracorexion

Poké : 1760

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Weather, seasons, and day/night cycles have been suggested before. However, they've never been accepted due to the ampunt of work that would be needed to.change the dice. Just for a day/night system, blue would need to practically double the amount of dice.

If you wish to have weather or day/night, simply state that it is in your thread. Nobody will stop you.
Back to top Go down
Dediles

Dediles

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Actualy you wouldn't have to double the amount of die. for most regions you could just use the die for that region, a tundra die, a forest die, desert die, mountain die. It's not as much trouble as making one for every doungeon, though some dungeons would require special attention.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

Poké : 3220

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't agree with this as it promotes ending threads sooner in order to get a desired weather effect. Any weather that affects pages are a definite "No" as they would simply promote what was said earlier and keeping track of that would be hell for both users and mods. I would rather apply weather effects SIMILAR to what was stated by Evana to weather moves to give them more purpose than simply "gotta go fast" for some pokemon.

This would also prove to be a problem if the users wanted to change the weather in the thread for in-character purposes. They would not be able to in fear of getting in trouble. That and we already have enough dice as is. I reall don't want to add anymore unless it's another dungeon or something important that adds a lot more to the site.
just look at this >_>:
Back to top Go down
Dediles

Dediles

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 5:47 am

You are right kat, but now that you mentioned effects from weather created by moves that Is something that could accomplish the same benefits of a weather system without the drawbacks, it would also give a use to weather orbs and abilities like sandstream. If you want I can Draw up some options for different weather effects, taking into account Evana's suggestions. I'm more than willing to do all the work here.
Back to top Go down
Lord E V
Lord of the Eevees
Lord E V

Poké : 9495

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 8:06 pm

As has been stated already by people who aren't me, it's perfectly allowed to bring up weather on your own in threads. Pecha Forest is not locked in sun, Mount Frostmeer is not locked in snow, desert areas aren't locked in sandstorms, etc. The addition of dice with added effects just seems unnecessary and complicated. As for weather from moves, I agree fully with it being given some effects, though I doubt any in-depth thinking would need to be done. If you're healed by a certain weather, you get more energy per page. If you're damaged by it, you either don't gain energy or lose energy. Any other effects I can think of are pretty easy to handle just through RP (like speed and evasiveness,) so no system is needed to keep track of them.
Back to top Go down
Coaster
Backend / Coding Support
Coaster

Poké : 9308

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Hello, sorry it took some time to notice this as I have been busy.

I would like to state that I agree with Sova's point of view here. Weather can easily be done without a dice for it. You simply describe the current conditions within your thread to have a environment to play with. If you feel that it will take too much control away from other rper's then simply ask them about what they would like for the environment. Heck, you can even fight for the environment with drastic changes imposed on your characters due to the dungeon.

Dungeons aren't limited to staying still while pokemon are within it.
I have had varying effects myself with some RP partners that achieved dungeon shuffles. An example would be, for the chateu location. We made the dungeon shifts silent. Within monochrome ruins, we had mini quakes that seemed to cause things to collapse within it, forming new layouts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weather system, benefits and disadvantages   Weather system, benefits and disadvantages Empty

Back to top Go down

Weather system, benefits and disadvantages
Page 1 of 1