Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

Against All Odds

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Silver

Silver

Poké : 6040

Against All Odds Empty
PostSubject: Against All Odds   Against All Odds EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Ok so this is a little fanfiction I thought of a while back ago. It's loosely based off of Les Miserables and the PMD2 plotline. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 1: Slave of the Law

“Grove, I’m hungry!” whined the voice of a young female.

“I know, Star. I’m going out to get some food right now.” An older male voice answered the first.

The voices came from a small cave at the edge of Treeshroud Forest. There was a rustle, and then a light green figure came to stand at the mouth of the cave. It was a Grovyle, just barely reaching adulthood. A small pale figure crept out behind him, clinging to the shadows frightfully.

“But, Grove, that means you go away! It’s scary when you gone!” the pale figure whined, creeping closer to the Grovyle. As the light streaming from the sky hit the figure, it was revealed to be a young human girl, of about four years old.

The Grovyle turned to the human child and bent down, wrapping his arms around her protectively. “You know I’ll never let anyone hurt you, Star. Be patient, and stay silent and out of sight. I’ll be back tomorrow with food.”

The child sniffled, but backed up obediently. “Alright, Grove,” she said, and disappeared into the cave. The Grovyle sighed, and set out into the forest.

*§*§*

It was much later that day when the Grovyle finally made it to civilization. A town grown out of the forest, literally, Iris City was the capitol city of the land of Arcea. Grove stood in line to enter the city through the guarded gates. He was surprised to see humans among the guards, though he supposed he should have expected it, Iris City being the capitol. Humans were servants of Arcea’s King, Lord Dialga. Many served him and his Court, and the best of them became part of his guard, partnered with a pokémon. The Guard made sure the laws were followed, and beat down insurgents who dared to go against Lord Dialga’s decrees.

Grove swallowed nervously as he went through the gates, hoping that the Houndoom and Mightyena wouldn’t smell Star on him, or if they did, would think that it was an unfamiliar Guard. He knew that hiding Star from civilization was against the law, as Lord Dialga had decreed long ago that all humans were to be in his personal service. But he had promised Star’s parents that he would take care of her, and he couldn’t do that if she served Lord Dialga.

He let out a shaky breath when he passed the gates, relieved that they hadn’t seemed to notice his secret. He set out into the streets, clutching his small bag protectively. He made his way to a fruit merchant, a Tropius. He waved for its attention, and the Tropius came over.

“What can I get you, dearie?” The Tropius asked in a feminine voice.

“I have some Sitrus Berries to sell,” Grove said, showing the fruit pokémon the contents of his bag. The Tropius’ eyes widened.

“How many?” She asked eagerly.

“I’ve got seven in here,” Grove replied. “How much will you take them for?”

“At 800 poké each, that would be 5,600 poké.” The Tropius dug around in a box, bringing out a heavy bag of poké, the pokémon currency. She put it on a scale, measuring the poké. She dropped a few more coins in the bag. “Here you are, sir. 5,600 poké for seven Sitrus Berries.”
Grove took the bag of poké gratefully, but knew the Tropius would sell them for at least 1,200 poké each, if not more. He shook his head. He should be grateful at what he had got. He then proceeded to buy rations for him and Star, making sure to buy healthy food that would not spoil quickly. When he finished, he left the city quickly with his pack, knowing that Star was hungry and likely scared all alone.

*§*§*

The next day, Grove hurried into his home. “Star! I’m home with food!”

“Grove!” Star squealed, running from her den to jump on top of him. “I missed you!”

Grove laughed as he lifted the girl up in his arms. “I was only gone a day!”

“I know! It was forever!” the girl whined. He smiled at her, and handed her a Pecha Berry, her favorite type of berry. She squealed happily, and grabbed another before chowing down on them. Grove watched her fondly, before digging in his pack for a special something he had gotten her.

“Star, I got you something special, to remember me by when I have to leave sometimes.”
Star looked up. “What?”

Grove went over to her and clasped it around her neck. She looked down to see a crystal in the shape of the Leaf Blade attack, on a fine iron chain. She gasped. “Grove! Thank you so much! It’s so pretty!”

Grove smiled at her. “You’re most welcome. Now you can remember me forever.”

“She’ll need to, because you will never see her again.” Grove jumped in shock, looking up to the cave entrance. A human’s shadow filled the entrance. Grove pushed Star behind him, gritting his teeth as the human and his partner came into the firelight. The human was a young man, dressed in jeans and a white shirt under silver-colored chest armor, with Lord Dialga’s sign embossed on it. His partner was a ghost –a Duskull.

“I told you not to doubt Frestia,” the Duskull said to his partner, “She has the best nose in the Junior Division.”

“Yes, you’re right. And here I was thinking that guarding the gates of a city, even the capitol city, was a dumb position that never got any action,” the young man returned, grinning sharply. The Duskull turned toward Grove.

“You are under arrest, Grovyle, for sheltering and hiding a human from Lord Dialga.”

“You can’t take her!” Grove said angrily. “I promised her parents I would take care of her! I don’t intend on breaking that promise.” He got into a defensive position.

The Duskull laughed eerily. “Will you look at that! The little grass-type thinks he can fight his way out of this!”

Grove gritted his teeth angrily. “All bluff and no bite, Duskull! At least I’ve evolved already! I hold the advantage there. You and everyone else counts out the little grass types, but we aren’t as weak as you think!”

“Do you really want to add years to your sentence by resisting arrest?” the human asked, eyebrows raised, looking at his fingers disinterestedly.

“Grove, what’s happening?” Star whispered from behind him. Grove turned to her, knowing that he would not win this battle, despite his bravado.

“Be brave, my little Star,” he murmured, “When I say the word, I want you to run as fast as you can into the forest. Find Terra and tell her, ‘the Ekans has found the Spearow.’ Can you do that for me?” he kept this as quiet as possible. Star nodded, her bottom lip trembling, though she tried to stifle it.

Grove turned to the Guard. “Fine, you’ve got me. I won’t win this battle…” the human smirked.

“That’s what I thought. Now, come with us. You have a lot of explaining to do.” Grove clenched his teeth. He walked forward, until he was a foot from the human.

Then he shouted at Star, “NOW,” and he slashed at the human, who reeled back. The Duskull hissed angrily, and hurried to protect his partner, tossing shadow balls at Grove.

Star bolted out of the cave and into the forest recklessly, fearing for Grove’s life. She shrieked when a Staraptor suddenly appeared out of the sky, and dove for her. She dodged to the side, only to cry out at the hands that wrapped around her struggling form. “Let me go!” she screamed at her captor.

“Calm down; I’m not going to hurt you.” It was another human, a woman in her mid-thirties.

“NO! Grove needs help! Need to help him!” Star struggled, beginning to cry. “They’ll hurt him!”

“Who?” the woman asked gently.

“That meanie man and the ghosty pokémon!” Star sobbed.

The woman straightened, realization in her eyes. She turned to her partner. “Make sure Keith and Ombre don’t rough up that Grovyle too much. You know how they can get carried away.”
The Staraptor bobbed its head. “I’ll do that. You tell the others they can stop searching for the girl.” It screeched before flying away.

“There, you see? You can calm down now. My partner will make sure your Grovyle won’t get hurt too much. How about you tell me your name?” the woman asked Star.

“Star,” the little girl replied.

“That’s a beautiful name. Mine is Sophia. My partner is Leah. I’m going to take you home, where you’ll be with other humans. Doesn’t that sound good?”

“But Grove says… if I’m with other humans, it’s bad, ‘cause then we can’t be together, an’ he told my mommy he’d take care of me!” Star rambled worriedly.

Sophia looked down at the little girl sorrowfully. “I know this is hard, Star, but humans are different from pokémon, you understand that? Humans are special. We get to serve our Lord Dialga directly. Not a lot of people can say that. Lord Dialga treasures humans too much to let anyone take advantage of us. That’s why he ordered that we all come to him. Your Grovyle was going against the law.”

“B-but… Grove is a good pokémon! He wouldn’t break the rules!” Star cried, tears leaking out of her eyes.

While they had been talking, Sophia had been walking, and they entered a clearing where the Guard had set up a post. Grove was chained to one of the trees, preventing his escape. Star called out at the sight, and wriggled free of Sophia’s grip. She ran to her friend. “Grove! Grove, tell me it isn’t true! You didn’t break any laws or nuthin’! You couldn’t! You wouldn’t! Right?” She sniffed, looking up at him.

Grove sighed, shoulders slumping. “Star… it is true. Lord Dialga decreed that all humans were to live in his palace, or be serving under him. But… I couldn’t let you go, Star. I promised your parents, and I loved you too much.” He hung his head.

Star sobbed. Sophia led her away gently, letting the girl cry herself to sleep before going out into the clearing again. She stood before the Grovyle sternly. “You’ve caused a lot more heartbreak and pain than if you had just given her up at the decree. We would not have treated her badly. She would be warm and comfortable, and would be fed on a regular basis. But she lived in a damp, dark cave, and she is obviously malnourished.”

At each word, Grove flinched. “I was only trying to do what was best for her!”

“No, you were trying to do what was best for yourself,” Sophia said coldly, before looking to the other Guard. “Take him away.” She turned her attention back to the Grovyle. “You’ll serve fifteen years in prison for your transgressions and the resist of arrest.” Grove just bowed his head, pain coursing through him at the thought of Star’s sufferings at his hands.

Chapter 2: Would You Leave the Best Behind?

5 Years Later

Star’s eyes snapped open at the morning bell. She leapt out of bed and hurriedly dressed in uniform, pulled her hair back as per regulation, and was out of the door before anyone else had even gotten dressed. Diana hadn’t even gotten out of bed yet.

Star entered the mess hall at a brisk pace, and picked up her usual breakfast: a single bowl of oatmeal with two pecha berries on the side and a glass of milk. She ate unhurriedly but didn’t dilly-dally. When she finished, she headed back to the cabin to brush her teeth before going to the training field. When she entered the cabin, the rest of her bunkmates were leaving together. They shared pointed glances when Star appeared, but Star ignored them. They were just jealous that they weren’t as good as she was.

She walked to the training field after brushing her teeth, and began her daily stretches. Today was an important day, and she wanted to be at the top of her game. Today was the day that those worthy enough were picked to have a pokémon partner. If they weren’t picked to have a partner, the remaining humans would not be part of the Guard, but put to work in menial tasks serving the Lords and Ladies of Lord Dialga’s Court.

Star didn’t want that. She knew that her status as one of the Hidden made others look down on her, so she tried harder than anyone else. Sometimes she resented the pokémon who had hidden her from the Guard, but she knew that Grove had merely wanted to protect her. And if he hadn’t hidden her, she would not have been pressed to be the best. So, in retrospect, she owed him for hiding her. She shook her head. It did not do to dwell on the past, as you could not change it, only live for tomorrow.

There was another bell, and the other humans came rushing to the field. Star got into her position and stood at attention, inwardly rolling her eyes at the others. When all of the others had finally gotten into position, their Trainers, a man in his fifties called Rainer and his partner, a Swampert named Giles, led them to the arena where they would be tested while watched by the potential partner pokémon.

Star awaited her turn in anticipation, knowing that she was better than everyone else, that she had trained the hardest and the longest until she was the best. She wanted to prove that it didn’t matter where you came from, as long as you worked hard, you’d make it.

Rumors flew through the air that Lord Dialga’s heiress was watching, searching for her own partner. Star stiffened. Princess Belle was out there watching? Now she had to be the absolute best. She admired Princess Belle above all other pokémon. Princess Belle was a Celebi, the Time Travel pokémon, and she was as kind as she was strong; everyone liked her. But even with her confidence, Star felt sure that Princess Belle would never choose her, let alone any of the others … they weren’t worthy enough to be the Princess’ partner.
Star’s breath caught as she heard her name called. She stepped into the arena and proceeded to show off her skills of endurance, magic, and intelligence. There were very few humans who could perform magic, and she was one of them. She was able to use telepathy, telekinesis, and was even able to summon enough white power to use a pokémon move: Aura Sphere, though it drained her immensely. She had a lot of endurance; almost as much as a pokémon: she could run for seven miles before she had to stop. Despite this; she did not have a lot of physical strength, and she was not particularly fast. She was in shape but she wasn’t thin. She suddenly wished that she had pushed herself more as her turn ended and she was led to the Pasture, where the pokémon would choose their partners after the Arena was complete.

She felt sick as she waited, going over and over her performance and seeing all the mistakes and all of her flaws. She closed her eyes and breathed slowly, trying to calm herself down. It would do no good to worry now. If they saw her hyperventilating, they would never consider her.

And that's all I've got for now. Tell me what you think pwease....
Back to top Go down
LanceTheDragon

LanceTheDragon

Poké : 5000

Against All Odds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Against All Odds   Against All Odds EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 pm

You got a pretty nice fanfiction there. keep up the good work! ^-^
Back to top Go down

Against All Odds
Page 1 of 1