Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

The Evolution Manifesto

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vonSteakhand

vonSteakhand

Poké : 1441

The Evolution Manifesto Empty
PostSubject: The Evolution Manifesto   The Evolution Manifesto EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 am

As many of you are already well aware, PMD RP has a wonderful system in place which allows characters which evolve by level to evolve much earlier than they normally would be able to. I'm glad that it's in, you're probably glad that it's in, and I feel that the site is better with it than without it.

That being said, no system is flawless. As it stands, there is a certain, unavoidable conundrum that shows up whenever certain characters, specifically characters which evolve at levels 20-37 make use of the system. It isn't anything that happens to them, nor is there a direct negative effect on any others. The conundrum lies in the fact that these characters can, due to the minimum evolution level required to make use of the reduction system, often times wind up with the option to evolve sooner than characters which would normally evolve at levels 11-19. Suffice to say, this really does not make a lot of sense- for a Pokémon which normally evolves later to get a faster and more flexible evolution level than than some which normally evolve sooner than it.

To provide an example- Ralts evolves into Kirlia at level 20. Because it meets the minimum evolution level requirement of 20, it is allowed to halve the number of levels it needs to evolve. Someone playing this Ralts would be allowed to evolve it at level 10.

Bounsweet, on the other hand, evolves into Steenee at level 18. It does not meet the minimum evolution level of 20, and cannot make use of evolution level reduction. Someone playing this Bounsweet would be allowed to evolve it at level 18, 8 levels more than was required to evolve the Ralts, despite the fact that its actual evolution level is two levels lower.

If I were the Bounsweet player, I might find myself feeling a little left out, perhaps a little disadvantaged, too. And I'm not just saying that because my Piplup evolves at level 16.

This probably makes it seem as though the current system only provides benefit to Pokémon which evolve at high(ish) levels, and as it stands, it does. This does not mean that I would wish to take away the gifts given to these characters, I would consider it unfair to remove their ability to reduce their evolution level. However, the above scenario is a tricky one that makes me (and possibly a few others) just a little uncomfortable.

Thankfully, there is a single, relatively simple solution to the issue, that being: Allowing Pokémon which evolve at levels 11-19 to also evolve at level 10. So long as a character which normally evolves at level 20 is allowed to evolve at level 10, I see no way in which it would be any less fair, any less balanced, or any less logical to allow characters evolving at levels 11-19 to also evolve at level 10. This would not reduce the capabilities of any characters to evolve, but it would clear up a troublesome scenario, and prevent picking a character which evolves at a high level from being objectively better (evolution-wise) to one which evolves at levels 11-19.

That is just an idea of mine. If anyone can think of a better suggestion, or wants to point out the fact that I'm making an awful big fuss over a tiny issue, I invite them do do so.
Back to top Go down

The Evolution Manifesto
Page 1 of 1