Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

UCLA (2007)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jax

Jax

Poké : 2115

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am

The sunny beaches of LA hustled and bustled with all manners of creatures. Seagulls fluttered anxiously overhead, waiting for a forgotten bag of chips or left over bread crust. Small crabs scurried from one hole to the other. Beach rats propped up their umbrellas and sipped from high protein banana smoothies. Everything was right where it should have been.

Serach leaned against the side of a small kiosk and sipped from a glass of ice water. From behind mirrored sunglasses she eyed why she was here. Usually, she wasn't a fan of the beach scene. It was a place where people came to inflate their egos and shamelessly prostrate themselves to the nearest attractive thing on two legs they could find. She much preferred the solidarity of just her, some rope, and a cliff side. Anything less pretentious would do. Still, the sun and the sand did have its advantages from time to time.

Never had she found a better way to lure someone away with a complete stranger than when equipped with a little black bikini. She did not boast, though she had often been called a beautiful woman. It would be wrong to not utilize the gifts her Creator had supplied.

A young man named Jacob Webb strolled up to the kiosk. His hair was unkempt and he wore a multitude of chains around his neck in what was an obvious plea to be noticed. He was a student at the local University of UCLA. Webb wasrich kid taking a free ride from his parents and anyone else who was kind enough to offer. Serach frowned to herself for a moment. She wasn't going to enjoy this, but it had to be done, as was the way of so many things under Heaven.

She approached Webb and introduced herself under a fake name. After a few drinks she persuaded Webb to leave with her, saying they would take her car to someplace more "private". Of course, Jacob accepted.

Soon, they were in the apartment that she had rented for this trip. It was modest, nothing to flashy. She had made some arrangements, making it appear more lived in with a few Photoshoped family photos, dirty laundry, etc. As she invited Webb to sit on the couch, it's likely he didn't even notice the needle until it was too late. Soon, he was slumped over on the cushions with medical grade animal tranquilizers running through his veins. It would be a few hours at the least until he woke up. He could stay under all day. Either worked.

Soon, the beach brat was properly restrained in the bedroom. If he did wake up, a pair of handcuffs and some strong rope assured that he would not be going anywhere. Now it was time to play the waiting game. She would have to wait until Jacob was reported missing. If things worked out, his parents would fly out without having to be called. Only time would tell.

Throwing on a white blouse and dark shorts, Serach left the apartment, going to find a way to pass the time. She had been frequenting a cafe at the UCLA campus recently. They served breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They even prepared food kosher, which was a major selling point for her.

Walking in, two little bells jingled to signal her arrival and she waved to the boy working the counter. He was nice enough. While chatting, he had told her he majored in Computer Science and how this was just a part time job. He seemed sweet. Serach was always sure to tip well when he helped her.

Today, she just bought a cup of coffee and settled into a table in the corner with a newspaper in front of her. She would check in on Webb in a few hours. Now was her "me" time. Even spooks, ghosts, and assassins needed breaks. As a matter of fact, they probably deserved them more than most. The hours were brutal and the work was dangerous. Yes, this cup of coffee was well deserved. She relished the hint of hazelnut as she slowly sipped while taking in the International section of the paper.
Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
Moderator and Dark Ducklett Priestess
FoxFireAlchemist

Poké : 5045

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 am

Through the front doors of the establishment strode a fairly tall girl, named Mia, who really stood out from the other clientele within the establishment. She had a tattoo of a dragon on either arm that streched the entire length of each arm, from the back of her hand to the tip top of her shoulder. The tattoo had grown (not that anyone who wasn't Mia or one of her friends would have noticed the difference) so that it now was nearly touching the base of her neck, and it had also started to creep towards her shoulder blades as well. The other thing that stood out about Mia was the large, impossible-to-miss scar that ran over her right eye, starting just above her brow and ending at the very top of her cheek. Aside from the brightly-colored beach towel around her neck, Mia wore a white t-shirt (one size too big for her) with "UCLA" printed in large, black letters over the chest, and a pair of short khaki shorts which she had tucked the shirt into. The outfit was hiding a navy bikini-style bathing suit that Mia had reluctantly pulled on after being pressured relentlessly by her roommates; she refused to walk around in it in and public place what wasn't either the beach or the pool. For shoes, Mia wore some simple yet well-made brown sandals. Her short hair was tied up with a thin navy-colored ribbon into an itty-bitty ponytail near the mid-back of her head, leaving only her bangs and the hair that framed her face.

Mia had her cell phone fitted snuggly between her ear and her cheek as she finished up a call she had been in prior to entering the establishment.

".......Yeah, I managed to escape Rhea's clutches. Hell hath no fury like a clingy roommate, though," Mia sighed into the iPhone. ".......Yeah, I'm gonna hide out in this little cafe on campus for a while, then maybe head back to the beach and wander. ...No. ...........No! .........No, I am not sending you pictures. You've seen me in a bathing suit on a beach before." Mia listened to her boyfriend beg in jest on the other side of the line for a minute, then giggled. "Dylan, if you're so desperate to see this than you're just gonna have to come see me yourself. But don't actually, because you already skipped a board meeting this week. Bad. Bad Dylan," she scolded playfully. "Alright, I gotta let you go, I'm gonna order here in a minute. Mm-hmm. .....Oh jeez, do I really have to? I'm in a public place.... Alright alright, fine," Mia conceded, grinning but shifting around uncomfortably while biting her lip, "Iloveyou'kbye."

Mia slipped the phone into her pocket with an embarrassed "Aww jeeeeez, that sap..." and approached the counter. She and her boyfriend shared a certain fondness for tea, so she ordered herself a nice hot green tea and one of the cafe's sandwiches. This particular cafe made better sandwiches than the others, something Mia had learned since first arriving on campus and spending the first few lonely weeks traversing it. Mia paid the dude with a little smile and then seated herself at a table next to another table with a girl reading a newspaper. Mia had found that after the many years spent alone, she liked to at least be in the presence of others. A lonely twinkle appeared in her eye as she gave this some thought, then proceeded to unwrap her sandwich.
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Looking up from her paper, Serach watched a woman enter the cafe. With odd tattoos and a scar over her right eye, she seemed to be an interesting character. The scars and tattoos would indicate some sort of mean streak, but she seemed tame to the cashier and her phone conversation with an apparent boyfriend was far too cutesy.

Soon, she sat right next to her. Serach ruffled her paper and turned the page. She sipped her coffee and abided the other woman's presence for awhile. After a few moments, she figured it wouldn't be appropriate to say nothing, so she looked over to the woman and spoke up.

"Interesting scar. How'd you get it? Slip in the bathtub or something?"
Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
FoxFireAlchemist

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 6:29 am

Mia looked over at the girl with a somewhat blank expression before realizing that she was the one the girl was speaking to. "Eh? Well, no..." she chuckled. "Believe me, I wish it was from slipping in a bathtub. That would have been a lot less emotionally scarring." Mia sighed and looked up at the ceiling for a moment. Her scarred eyelid twitched as she relived the day she received it in her head; her eye itself seemed to be flinching away from being struck by something painful.

"It..." Mia began, "...it came from a dictionary and some peopled who didn't like me. Blood-related people. Because I was different from them in a strange way. It's hard to explain; I don't want to bore you with the details..." Mia sighed with a chuckle, her eyes shifting back to the girl. "I've been told I tell long stories."
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 6:51 am

Serach took another sip from her coffee as the girl talked. It sounded like she had somewhat of a troubled past. She flinched inwardly, twitched, her body language was telling. Leaning back in her chair and putting down the paper, she blew on the cup and took another sip. Hazelnut.

"Well, at least you're aware of your own habits," she responded. "Also, there's nothing wrong with scars. They remind us of who we are, where we've been, and that our current wounds will soon heal and join them. I've got a few myself."

She added, "Besides, you can still see. That's something."

Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
FoxFireAlchemist

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 5:07 am

Mia snarfed up a big bite of her sandwich while the woman was speaking to her. She chewed thoughtfully on both her sandwich and her thoughts; it was a little surreal talking to a stranger so suddenly about scars and such. Then again, this was Los Angeles. Just about everybody probably had something going on in their lives.

"You're not wrong," she responded as she swallowed, "that's a pretty healthy way to look at it. And I'm definitely grateful to still see. That's pretty important." She set down the sandwich and reached awkwardly for her drink to take a sip. It had been a while since she had talked to any new people, honestly. She honestly felt incredibly intimidated now that she had to hold small talk with someone she had just met. There was a second of awkward silence after she swallowed as she debated if/how she wanted to continue the conversation.

"...I uh," Mia began, trying to hold a normal facade as best as she possibly could, "I'm picking up an accent in your voice; are you from far off? Or is your family from another country or something?" Oh, god, she really hoped she wasn't being offensive right now. She bounced her knee a little bit to try and relieve some of the social anxiety before she made an ass out of herself.
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 am

"Well, I've found that without the right adittude, the world will do it's best to gobble you up and drag you down. It's not so bad if you don't let it bother you. In my experience, most things are all about finding a little perspective."

She was quiet for a moment then. A normal awkward pause as the conversation shifts. Serach stole a quick glance at one of the headlines of her paper and made a not to read an interesting story she spied when this chance conversation was over.

The girl finally mentioned her accent.

"Ah, you heard an accent to be sure. My family comes from Israel. I'm Jewish. If I wanted to I might be able to hide my accent, but I'm not so squeamish to deny where I come from.

"And you? Where are you from? I am not so good with Americans' and their accents." She lied. She could at least tell the girl was from somewhere in the north east. Perhaps Massachusetts or New York. Her accent was too subtle to be sure though.
Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
FoxFireAlchemist

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 am

Mia nodded, floundering to think of anything substantial to add to that comment. She couldn't, and the she was met with more internal awkwardness. Best to just cut her losses and move on to the next discussion point: Isreal. ...Which one was Isreal again? She hadn't really had to know that for the GED test. It was.... in the Middle East. But which one was it......? She knew a lot of people had fought over it in the past, might have been near a river or something. Mia stared blankly into the air as she processed all of this.

".....Uh...... Sorry, was Isreal the one with all of the European people after it back in the day; with like the crusades and stuff? Jeez, I can kind of get a mental image in my head, but I don't think I could point it out on a map....." She furrowed her brow as she tried to recall anything, and failed. "I'm sorry, I uh.... didnt really get much school back in the day, I mostly ducked in and out of libraries... To be honest, I don't know a lot about Judaism besides the basics, either. I grew up.... circumstantially agnostic." She kinda felt like she sounded like an asshole, making her slink back further into her seat for safety. "I don't hold any ill will towards you, I'm sorry; I don't know a whole lot so I hope none of that is offensive or anything."

The woman asked where she was from, and Mia was immensely grateful to have an out, something to provide her a quick break. She focused on that, to re-collect herself. "Oh, I'm from New York. Kind of a big jump from one pond to another, heh heh." She took another sip of her drink as she thought about how to proceed. "It's definitely the first time I've been out this far. Not necessarily the first time I've been out of the city, but it might as well be. And I've definitely never been out of the country.... extensively."

"Speaking of which, what's Isreal like?"
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 am

It was interesting to know that the girl had limited schooling. Still Serach could not hold it against her. Ignorance was the lesser evil of stupidity, after all. Besides, even most educated Americans struggled to tell the difference between Iran and Iraq. A little curiosity was a good thing in her case.

"Well, obviously it is hot. Not like here though. Very often it is a dry heat." She considered her words a moment, like she was tasting them before they left her mouth. "Israel can be a very beautiful place. I grew up near Jerusalem and there the land is rich in culture and spirit. It is a holy and ancient place, something you can feel seeping from the pores of the rocks and stones.

"Isreal is a reminder of my heritage as a Jew. A home for me and my people. A refuge, and a place to keep safe. It is our land, a place we made for our own. I hold it very dear to my heart." Her gaze had drifted down into her mug of coffee and a nostalgic grin teased at her lips. She thought of her mother and father in the shop, running through the streets as a child, and the tingle she got in her spine still when she visited the desert and shifting dunes. Home indeed.

She shrugged and then she was back. "Still it is a country like any other. We have problems too.

"What about you? What is a girl from New York doing all the way out in California, hm?"
Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
FoxFireAlchemist

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptySun Jul 09, 2017 6:58 am

Listening to the woman talk made Mia relax quite a bit. She found herself relating a lot to what she was saying about home and shelter. That was all for the most part how she felt about New York; it had been a home to Iruu and herself for as long as she could remember. She could relate to the feeling of pride and respect, though maybe to a slightly lesser extent. It was New York, after all.

Still, now she wanted to see Israel.

"It sounds really amazing," she chirped as she pulled up some pictures of Israel to look at. "It sounds like something I'd like to see in person, even though I probably would miss out on some of it because I don't have the same connection. Still, it sounds like a place you can really connect with." She smiled as she stirred her drink around with her straw and imagined what it might be like to visit there. Her imaginings ended with another question from the woman.

"Oh, uh, I'm going to college here. Trying to catch up on what I've missed out on and also hopefully get a degree. I could have gone somewhere closer to home but I got a pretty huge scholarship to come here and I figured after twenty-odd years of living in New York, it was probably time to see something else. It was definitely a tough choice, but.... I really needed some time away." She chewed on her lip unconsciously a bit as the things making her anxious came back to her.
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 pm

It was obvious the topic of home was a bit of a sore topic, so Serach chose to ignore prying any further.

"Well, kudos to you on the scholarship. I'm sure your parents must be very proud. Also, I'm sure that you would get something out of Israel. Plenty of people do. Jerusalem is a major tourist attraction for a reason. If you have even a little bit of a spiritual side to you, I'm sure you could find something that will catch your eye.

"Speaking of eye catching, I've been meaning to say 'Nice tattoos.'" She pointed at the girls exposed skin where the tattoos were visible. She suspected that they were something like a Chinese dragon on her arms.

"Any significance to those, or did you just think they looked cool?"
Back to top Go down
FoxFireAlchemist
FoxFireAlchemist

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 am

"Haha. Ha." Mia knew the woman didn't mean any harm by what she had said; there was no way she could have known the irony in her words. However, Mia knew that there was a family that was proud of her, both literally and metaphorically... the prior made her uncomfortable. The latter made her homesick for the antics she got into with Aaron and Claudia. It always felt like they were getting somewhere when they were together. On her own.... she felt like she was struggling just to make daily progress. The woman gave her something else to think about by continuing about Isreal. Mia nodded her head to the tune of the woman's voice.

"Well, I don't know how inherently spiritual I am, but I do think that the various takes different cultures have on higher powers, and the way cultures kind of grow around those interpretations, I guess." Mia felt a bit excited by how big she was talking; she didn't know if she had the means to back it up yet but she was certainly happy that her studies so far were at least panning out socially if nothing else. "I suppose I have enough precedent in that regard to get something out of it."

The woman pointed out her tattoos and Mia looked down at her arms, not used to having so much of them displayed. In New York she could usually get away with wearing some form of long sleeves all year... but LA was too damn hot. Mia chuckled nervously. "Uuuuuuuh. Hue, uh, yeah, I thought they were pretty cool. They mean something pretty important to me, but I guess you could say.... there wasn't a lot of choice in their conception? I'm not sure, it's hard to describe." She felt like she was failing in the conversation, and mentally began to pull away a little bit. She had been so used to having other mages around to talk to that trying to navigate around the concept of magic with a normal person around.... was hard. Just, it was really hard. She couldn't figure out how to get around it.

While she had tunneled so deeply into her thoughts, she missed the shadows dancing oddly outside.
Back to top Go down
Jax

Jax

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am

Huh.

Weird kid.

But that was okay. At least she was nice. Someone to talk to for a bit. Better than just sitting in silence, trying to get interested in a book that she wasn't sure she was going to finish anyway. Worst bad romance novel she had ever tried to get invested in. And not in the good way. She could have written something better if she'd had the time.

"Uh... Okay, fair. Your secret is safe with me. Whatever choices you make after too many shots on a Saturday night is your choice. Besides, they look cool anyway."

She took a sip of her coffee before realizing that she hadn't even introduced herself.

"I'm Nava, by the way. It's nice to meet you."

She reached out her hand to shake. It wasn't her first time using a fake name. It wasn't even her first time using this particular name. She-

Serach. Something is moving outside. It smells like-

The telepathic intrusion was from her familiar, Abdur. His thoughts jerked her attention to the door outside. Shadows swirled in a sinister vortex before manifesting in a large, feral beast. A gale.

And it was barreling towards the door.

"Get down!" With a flick of the wrist, Serach pushed the girl's head under the table before flipping the table. Hot coffee flew through the air as the sound of glass shattering filled it. The large creature, a hulk of white fur and claws, rushed through the opening. From her bag, Serach pulled a pistol and took aim. Shots rang out through the small cafe and the gale howled. It stumbled ever so slightly to the side, careening into the counter and smashing the display to bits.

Serach knew she had to leave. Everything was in the wind now because of this. How though?! She had been so careful. She hadn't even used magic! Why now, of all times would a gale choose to come after her?

Unless...

The gale's eyes weren't fixed on her. They were glaring at...

Serach grabbed the girl by the arm and hauled her out from underneath the table. Her fingers dug deep into the girls tattooed skin as she began to lead her out of the cafe as quickly as she could manage. People were screaming and running now. They wouldn't pose much of an obstacle for the creature pushing itself off the counter now.

"Come on, missy. We are leaving!"

To be safe, she turned over her shoulder and fired three more shots into the lumbering mass, which by now was looming over the crowd. The bullets may have been bee stings for all the good they did.

Good things she had brought Plan F.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UCLA (2007) Empty
PostSubject: Re: UCLA (2007)   UCLA (2007) Empty

Back to top Go down

UCLA (2007)
Page 1 of 1