Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

Prepare to face a new set of challenges in this brand-new Pokemon world as you square off against new enemies and rivals, forge new friendships, and create teams to travel the world with on your quest of discovery

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
-Quick Links-
Starter Poké Donation | Guildmaster Requests | Admin Requests | Current Sitewide Event
Grassveil BU Requests | Aileron BU Requests

-NOTICES-
Welcome to PMD!

Event Manager Applications are open! >>Link<<
Moderator Applications are open! >>Link!<<
For site updates as they happen, join our Discord server! >>Here!<<

Moveset advice?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TraceNoil

TraceNoil

Poké : 370

Moveset advice? Empty
PostSubject: Moveset advice?   Moveset advice? EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 am

So I've been spending a good while trying to figure out what Trace's six known attacks are going to be, even going so far as to have a progression of skills as he sort of trains up for the final form of that series. This is what I have so far:

1) Ice Fang.
- This is an attack he's known since birth, and since it is an important aspect of his backstory I have no intention of him unlearning it. Plus, having an attack with an additional typing improves his utility.

2) Quick Attack
- Trace has always been about running around, so of course I would keep the attack that allows him to move around really fast. I would like to upgrade it to Extreme speed or even agility, but those are not skills electrikes can just learn. Even though he has been on the run the majority of his life and therefore should be reasonably faster than normal

3) Thunder Fang
- This compliments Ice Fang, and plus its an attack that he learns naturally. In character he would favor this as well.

4) Spark
- Of course, can't have an electric type pokemon that is known for his running without an electric tackle move.
4.5) Wild Charge
- This is a natural upgrade to spark that he will train into. A more reckless, but powerful attack. I see it as a building onto the whole "generating electricity as he runs" type deal to build up a powerful electric charge before slamming into a target. I would also like to further upgrade this slot into Volt Tackle and Bolt Strike, but again those are not skills that eletrikes would learn naturally. Not to mention that starts to get into the massively overpowered range of attacks. (although a balance could be that he can normally use wild charge and then Volt Tackle/Bolt Strike can only be used while mega evolved)

5) Discharge
- I plan on learning this as soon as I possibly can (and then pretend that he knew it all along). All of his previous attacks are close up and he needs at least one attack at range. This is that attack for him.
5.3) Charge Beam
- Discharge is an uncontrolled burst of electricity, as likely to hurt allies as well as opponents. While that suited him just fine when he was running about on his own, he needs something better to fight with. His training to dial back and focus the electricity he shoots out results in this skill.
5.6) Shock Wave
- Of course, there's still room for improvement. As he increases control over his electricity with accuracy training, Trace's attack evolves into the electric attack that can not miss.
5.9) Electro Ball
- Accuracy is not the end all be all though. His ultimate ranged attack suits him quite well as its an attack that gets stronger the wider the speed gap is between him and his target.

Now here comes the problem. I really can't decide what I want to do for his sixth slot. Originally I had wanted to put fire fang, but I encountered more and more problems as I thought it over. Primarily he has way to many attacks already, and he needs something that focuses on utility. Also Fire Fang wouldn't make sense from an in character standpoint either. So, pouring over Electrike's bulbapedia page gave me four options to choose from:
1) Thunder Wave
- A guaranteed paralysis is good to have, especially later on when he can capitalize on the speed halving it causes with Electro Ball. Plus, since this is an attack Trace already knows I don't have to do anything special to obtain it.

2) Double Team
- I'm not sure how stats like evasiveness works in the context of this site, but seeing as this attack is literally "The user begins moving so quickly that it creates illusory copies" it really works with the whole aesthetic I'm going for with Trace. That aesthetic being that Trace is fast, really really fast. So this works really well with Trace as a character, but may or may not be useless in combat scenarios.

3) Magnet Rize
- While this isn't a skill I would imagine Trace figuring out on his own or even wanting to learn (he would prefer to run than fly/float) I'm still considering it because immunity to ground type attacks is a good thing. Plus that means he can freely go to Aileron Village and such. It's good in a roleplay and mechanic standpoint, but not in character.

4) Odor Sleuth
- This final one is something I'm really just throwing out there as a consideration. As far as ghost types are concerned, he only has quick attack to worry about missing with (unless you all say ghost types are immune to all physical attacks). So then the only benefit he would be able to get from this in combat is an effective "Lock on" skill, but I don't think that is very helpful. There could be some use for this attack in roleplay scenarios however, and I imagine him using it to track down a friend or something like that if needed.

He could also learn skills like Protect and Light Screen, but that really does not make sense for Trace to have them at all. He is certainly more of a take down your opponent faster than they can take you down than a defensive kind of battler. So what are all of your thoughts on this? I made this discussion to get people's opinion.
Back to top Go down
the sunset hero

the sunset hero

Poké : 5990

Moveset advice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moveset advice?   Moveset advice? EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 5:00 am

I like what you're going for here. Like the move set isn't super versatile or meant to cover every base, but instead capitalizes on Trace's in-character strengths and species-specific strengths. If you just want an answer, I'd say pick Thunder Wave. Paralyzing a Pokemon also halves their speed, aside from restricting their movement. Up against a paralyzed opponent, his speed is going to be way more apparent, and that sounds like something you want. Plus, as you said, it's got good synergy with Electro Ball.

To put in my two cents, though, I'd say it's a bit redundant to have both Thunder Fang and Wild Charge since they both pretty much accomplish the same thing. If you want to run both of your desired utility moves, choose one over the other; probably whichever one makes the most sense in-character for him. I'm assuming this would be Wild Charge.

Modified moveset:

The only Pokemon that would truly wall Trace are the Magnemite line and Togedemaru. Also Shedinja, but he probably walls a lot of people. If you want to rectify that, though, and carry a fire move...

Kill-it-with-fire moveset:

Still emphasizes Trace's speed with Wild Charge, Quick Attack, Electro Ball, and Thunder Wave. But carrying that fire move gives him a super effective weapon against a lot more Pokemon. And unless you decide to run a Hidden Power move, this is about as good of coverage as a Manectric is going to get (at least without sacrificing the running speed-motif he's got going on). No matter what you decide on, though, it's gonna be cool. Hope I'll get to see him in action one day!
Back to top Go down
TraceNoil

TraceNoil

Poké : 370

Moveset advice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moveset advice?   Moveset advice? EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 am

I do believe you are right about Thunder Fang and Thunder Wave. It was more of a remnant of his previous skill build that I made back when there were only 4 slots, that being him having all three elemental bite attacks plus quick attack. Another story wise idea I had is making double team a direct upgrade to quick attack, and then, if the admins allow it, upgrade that again into extreme speed through training threads. This would also free up a sixth slot for either a fire type move or another utility move (of which he doesn't really have many that could be used effectively.)

I'm still largely iffy about giving Trace a fire type move as well. While it may be good to cover as many bases as you can, it also can get boring playing a perfect warrior. I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I'm feeling here, but like what's the point of partying up with someone if you have no weaknesses for them to cover? The problem is, there really isn't any better alternative haha.

So what I'm now considering is this:

1. Ice Fang
  2. Wild Charge
  3. Electro Ball
  4. Quick Attack > Double Team > Extreme speed (?)
  5. Leer/Odor Sleuth/Protect or Fire Fang > Flamethrower

I'm also aware that I am doing a LOT of skill progression stuff, but its something to rp about and I like the concept. Makes it feel like a more gradual increase in power/ability than just suddenly "Oh hey, here's this new thing that I can do."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moveset advice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moveset advice?   Moveset advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Moveset advice?
Page 1 of 1